Sunday, May 29, 2011

*Lucas Michael Scibetta*

Lucas Michael Scibetta made his way into the world on May 24th, 2011 at 9:55 am he weighed 7 pounds 15 ozs and was 20.5 inches long. 

After my awful experience with the mean nurse on Saturday I was glad to see Lucas decided to stay put till the weekend was over so we didn't have to deal with her again.  Well it all started Monday night Michael, my mom, and myself were just watching some TV when I felt a slight pop so I stood up and out trickled some water.  So I told Mike it was time to go because my water had broken.  This time was much different than when my water broke with Kalen, I had soaked a whole towel when I stood up.  This time I just got my underwear and shorts slightly wet.  So off we headed to the hospital.  As with Kalen I had no contractions before my water broke and I did not have any on the way to the hospital.  Once we got to the hospital we were put into a labor room and they needed to check to make sure my water had actually broken and I didn't just pee myself.  So they did the test with the paper and it started to turn blue, but when the nurse checked me she said my waters was still intact.  So now everyone was baffled.  So they did a second test to send to the lab, this one was more reliable.  It had come back positive for amniotic fluid, so I was officially admitted.  Apparently after the initial leakage Lucas plugged the hole with his head, hence I still had my bag of waters since it couldn't fully drain. 

I was officially admitted around 10 pm at 6 cm dilated.  They called the Dr to see what he wanted to do, since I was still not having contractions and my water had broken around 8:30 pm.  He wanted to let nature take it course instead of putting me on Pitocin (although my hubby and I knew nothing would happen).  We figured the Dr just did not feel like coming in at 2 in the morning to deliver the baby.  Fast forward through the night I had sporadic contractions but I could not feel them we just knew they were happening because the monitor would show them (I figure they were just braxton hicks). 

Finally in the morning they decided to start pitocin since I did not dilate and did not have any contractions (we knew this was going to happen since this happened with Kalen).  They had the switch over of nurses from night to day shift and I got the most wonderful nurse Tracey.  My night nurses were great too, but they did not really do anything.  Tracey had a nursing student that was following her around that day as well.  I decided to go ahead and get my epidural since they were putting me on pitocin, with Kalen I almost did not get the epidural in time I was 9 1/2 cm when I got it, If I had known that then I wouldn't have gotten it.  But I knew with pitocin I would progress quickly and if I didn't ask for it now I might not be able to get it.  So by 8:45am I had my epi and my pitocin drip.  While I received my epi my wonderful nurse Tracey was giving me a shoulder massage!! She came back around 9:40am to check on me and asked me to tell her if I was feeling any pressure and I said I was at the end of contractions and I would feel the pressure in my bottom.  So she checked and said we were ready to have a baby.  I was instructed not to move at all and try not to push when I felt the pressure again.  She called to have my midwife Jackie get to the hospital ASAP.  So everyone got prepared and once Jackie showed up she barely had anytime to get all her stuff ready. 

At about 9:50am they said I was ready to push.  Another nurse said she was going to push my legs toward my chest before I pushed as she did that Lucas' head came out, I hadn't even pushed yet!! They had to suction out his nose and mouth and then I pushed his shoulders out and he was all the way out at 9:55am!! The nurses couldn't believe how quick everything happened.  As mike and I said if they would have put me on the pitocin when we arrived we would have had Lucas Monday night.  But now Lucas shares a birthday with his Grandpa Scibetta!!! Since we hadn't decided on a middle name yet it became Michael, which is only fitting since that is his Grandpas name and they share a Bday now.

After Lucas was born I was able to move around much better than the first time.  I did not need stitches which made moving around so much easier.  We had both our families visiting in the hospital to meet Lucas.    Kalen was not to sure of him but he gave him some pets and even a few kisses.  Life is defiantly more crazy now but we wouldn't change it.  I'm sure it is only going to get crazier as the boys grow up. 

Meeting his Little Brother Lucas

Giving Lucas a Kiss

Proud Papa

Me and the Big Brother, Kalen

Our Crazy Family


  1. Congratualitons! Sounds like a perfect birth! What a great looking family you all are! Whishing you much happiness and at least a little sleep!

  2. Aw I love the birth story. Great photos too! Glad that you had a good birth and it was much easier the 2nd time around than the first.

  3. Welcome to the world Lucas!! You are one lucky little boy to be born into this crazy fun family!

  4. Lucas is absolutely ADORABLE!!! Your birth story is amazing... Can you please send me your good luck for my next baby? I would LOVE to have an exact repeat of your situation! haha :)

  5. Thanks everyone!! We are enjoying our family of four (5 if you count the dog). Jenn I send you lots of good luck and good baby dust!!